On-line registration for this program is closed. You may still attend and pay at the door.
Join the USGBC - Illinois Chapter's Rockford/Northern Illinois Branch for an Interactive Tour of the Freedom Field Renewable Energy Lab, in Rockford.
Today, the United States relies heavily on fossil fuels and nuclear power to generate its electricity. The result is a system that lacks diversity with little competition to restrain fossil fuel price increases. The consequences of continuing our current energy model targets our future generations towards emissions that contribute to smog, acid rain; and increased water consumption, thermal pollution, waste, and adverse land use.
Freedom Field is studying renewable energy resources such as wind, solar, bio-energy, and geothermal to explore whether we are capable of meeting a significant proportion of America's energy needs outside unsustainable & toxic resources. Our presenter, Chet Kolodziej, will focus on the need to grow a strong commitment to renewable energy development setting forth their mission to increase regional awareness towards a healthy and sustainable energy future.
During the interactive tour, participants will see:
• 7400 square foot of indoor space
• SCADA system for operations data collection
• Meteorological Station with data collection for systems performance correlation
• 12.5 KW Solar Photo Voltaic array (largest in Winnebago County)
• 10 KW Horizontal traditional Wind Turbine (Largest non-commercial in Winnebago County)
• 1.2 KW Vertical Wind Turbine (roof mounted)
• 175,000 BTU Solar Thermal System (used to both heat and cool our facility year round.)
• 200,000 BTU Ag-waste to Bio-Gas Energy (in construction and expandable to I MM BTU)
• Up to 1,000,000 BTU of heat recovery from a Co-Generation system
• 2500 Gallons of insulated hot water storage capacity
Chet Kolodziej, Executive Director of Freedom Field Renewable Energy
5:30-6:00 - Networking (Food and Beverages will be provided)
6:00-7:15 - Presentation
7:15-7:30 - Q&A/Networking
Continuing Education: This program has been submitted for approval for GBCI CE hours.
If you are interested in Sponsoring this program, please contact Branch Chair, Mike Dudek at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to the USGBC - Illinois Chapter homepage!
For additional programming opportunities and to view the entire USGBC-Illinois Chapter course catalog, click here